Spring Poison Prevention
This Friday, March 25th is the last day of Poison Prevention week, and the end of the first week of spring, so we wanted to round up some of the most common poisons that can hurt your fur baby.
Each of these are varying degrees of severity, and can be a danger year round - however are more likely to be an issue during this season. If you suspect your pet has ingested a poison, call your veterinarian, or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680, fees are applied).
Here are some common poisons to keep an eye out for, especially during the spring!
Spring is the season of pesky insects, both inside and out. When it comes to treating both your pups AND your yards with flea and bug spray, it’s important to not overdo it! Exposure to too many chemicals can be fatal for your pet.
- Excessive drooling
- Lack of appetite
- Difficulty breathing
- Increased heart rate
This is very dangerous for all pets (particularly cats!), but should especially be avoided around dogs, as they are typically more attracted to the smell than cats are. Compost can contain fungus that produces tremorgenic mycotoxins, poisonous to pets. These toxins cause dangerous seizures and can be dangerous with even just a small amount of compost consumed.
Spring is a beautiful time of year with the new plants and flowers blooming, but not the safest for your pup! Make sure to keep an eye out for poisonous plants; we’ve got a list of the top foliage to keep a lookout for here.
Certain garden type veggies can be a tasty but dangerous treat for your fur baby! Here’s some plants commonly grown in the spring that you may want to avoid:
- Tomato plants and unripe tomatoes: this plant contains tomatine and solanine, which are both plants that are dangerous for pets.
- Rhubarb, while ripe, is safe for pets. But if the stem isn’t red, rhubarb can contain oxalic acid, which can be deadly.
- Potatoes are a part of the nightshade family. If they are consumed raw they can be very dangerous.
- Mint, like mint essential oil, isn't safe for both cats and dogs. Make sure to plant this herb away from where your pet can eat it.
- Onions, garlic, chives. These plants are all a part of the Allium family, which is toxic for pets, particularly in large quantities.
Deicers (specifically rock salt!)
Rock salt can be toxic to cats and dogs if they ingest too much. It can cause seizures, burns, dehydration, and more. Make sure to keep an eye on your pet and clean any salt off their paws after a walk. Make sure to read our blog post about paw health during the winter for more tips!
Easter and Spring candy
Pesky easter baskets and eggs laying around are a potential danger for your pet! Chocolate is a commonly known danger to pets, so most people know to be aware, however spring and Easter time can be busy! Make sure to keep chocolate out of reach, and alert your vet if you suspect your pet ate some.
Please make sure to reach out to your vet, or poison control, if you believe your pet has ingested something poisonous!